EDHS Bulletin for Wednesday 12/19/18

El Diamante High School Daily Bulletin edhs-bulletin at mailman.vusd.org
Tue Dec 18 14:31:16 PST 2018

[cid:image001.png at 01D496DE.86DF8A50][cid:image002.jpg at 01D496DE.86DF8A50][cid:image003.png at 01D496DE.86DF8A50]
El Diamante High School
A California Distinguished School & Home of the Miners!
Daily Bulletin

Wednesday- December 19, 2018

[cid:image004.png at 01D496DE.86DF8A50]

CAMPUS INFORMATION

Student Attendance - If you need to call Attendance to clear an absence or have your student released for an appointment, please call your Attendance person directly using the information below:

All 12th Grade Students

Grades 9-11
Last Names A-K

Grades 9-11
Last Names L-Z

Mrs. Gomez
735-3516

Mrs. Stack
735-3501

Mrs. Gates
735-3517

·         Miner Emporium:  Come by the Miner Emporium (student store) and check out the new gear. We have beanies, bucket hats, hoodies and t-shirts with our new logo. Get them while supplies last.

·         The Marines will be on campus on Mondays in the quad area, the Army will be on campus on Tuesdays in front of the Career Center, the Navy will be on campus on Wednesdays in front of the Career Center, and the National Guard will be on campus on Thursdays in the quad area, to answer any questions you may have.

STUDENT NOTES

Today:

·         Students: There will be a Cocoa & Cram session today from 1-3 PM in the Library. Come study for your finals and enjoy a cup of cocoa. There will also be student tutors available to help.

Old Announcements:

·         Baseball tryouts will begin on January 14th, the first day back to school, at 3:30pm at the Varsity Baseball Field for all levels. See Coach Kiser if you have any questions.

·         Softball practice from January 14-18 from 3:40-5:00 PM will be mandatory for all girls wanting to try out for softball. Tryouts will take place the following week.

·         Students: The last day to request to change a class for semester 2 is January 28th, 2019. Please see your learning director if you have any questions or concerns. We highly recommend that you put in a request to see your learning director using the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/EGm42bgfQSFvjPFz2.

·         The new IntraDistrict transfer forms are now available in the registration office. If you plan on attending another High School for the 2019-2020 school year, you must submit one of these forms. The 1st Lottery deadline is on February 9th. The 2nd lottery deadline is on April 15th.  You must have an approved IntraDistrict transfer to attend a High School that is not in your home boundary line.

·         California Lions Clubs are again sponsoring a Student Speaker Contest in February with cash awards and scholarships of up to $10,000. It is open to all students in grades 9-12. The topic is "FREEDOM OF THE PRESS, WHAT DOES IT MEAN? This is a wonderful public speaking opportunity to earn money toward higher education by presenting a 10 minute speech at one of the Lions Clubs in Visalia. Amounts of awards begin at $100 and increase through each of the 6 levels of competition. If you are interested or would like to know more, see Ms. Reynolds in Student Services who has more information and interest letters that need to be returned before January 17 in order for you to be contacted by a Visalia Lions Club member.  This is a wonderful and exciting opportunity given throughout the state of California. We encourage all students to consider participating in this annual event as they move forward with their education.

·         Attention Students: Headgear is not allowed. This includes hats, caps, bandanas, sweatbands, hairnets, head bands, do-rags, and beanies. This dress code will be enforced and you will be asked to remove with possible confiscation and parent pick up.

·         Students if you need to request a DMV Pink Slip, please go to Mrs. Springer's room 318 with your transcript. You can put in a request to get your Pink Slip before school, during homeroom, and during lunch. Please allow 2 school days for processing before picking it up. We will no longer issue Pink Slips in the Student Services office.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Finals 2 & 4

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Cocoa & Cram 1-3 PM in EDHS Library

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Band Concert - L.J. Williams Theatre @ 7:00 PM

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Finals 1 & 3

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Cocoa & Cram 1-3 PM in EDHS Library

Friday, December 21, 2018

                                              Finals 5 & 6

SENIOR NOTES

·         Scholarship Workshop:  Seniors-Ms. Bitney is hosting an ongoing scholarship workshop on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school in room 605 from 3:30 to 4:30.  This is a great resource for assistance and information about scholarships, so make sure to go by and see her.

·         Seniors- College Covered is offering a drawing to randomly select eligible students to win a $10,000 scholarship award to help pay for college. Visit scholarship.collegecovered.com/rules<Scholarship.CollegeCovered.com/Rules> for the official rules and instructions on how to enter. The deadline is January 31, 2019.

·         The El Diamante High School Local Scholarship Application is now open. The deadline to submit your application is February 1st, 2019.  To submit your application, visit: https://goo.gl/BJrxjY.

·         College Board is offering opportunities to earn scholarships that range from $500-$2,000. For more information and to apply, please visit: https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/?excmpid=vt-00248.

Senior Check List
Check

Important Event

Date

Senior Portrait - Summer - Call Essence @ 741-1257

Immediately

Miner Roundup - Senior Portraits Taken

August 9

Senior Sunrise

August 23

Senior Portrait Make-ups

October 2

Order Cap, Gown and Announcements  - Civics/Econ

October 29

Senior Panoramic Picture

November 7

Last day to order yearbook w/name imprint

January 29

Last day to order Senior Ad to place in yearbook

January 29

Grad Nite

May 17

SEE ATTACHMENTS FOR ALL SCHOLARSHIP & CLUB INFORMATION

PARENT NOTES

·         The first day back to school in January is our first PTSA meeting of the year! It is Monday, January 14 at 5:30 PM in the library. Our featured speaker will be Jerri Corona, our campus nurse. We will also have our principal's report and the ASB students report. It will be informative and fun, hope to see you there!

·         The Miner Foundation meets each month to plan and prepare for our Fundraising Dinner and Auction.  Proceeds from the evening will go to back to clubs/ teams and also a portion will go towards Miner Foundation that is used for scholarships and campus-wide projects. Please join us to plan and prepare for our upcoming event!  We will meet in the Career Center on Monday, January 14th at 5:30 PM.

·         Attention Parents: If you are interested in requesting a meeting with the your student's Learning Director, please fill out the appointment request form by following the link below:

o    https://goo.gl/jxgTxn

·         Attention Parents: To purchase Miner Swag please visit the EDHS Fan store on the EDHS Website.
http://vusd.org/ElDiamante