[GWHS-Bulletin] bulletin3.08.17

Cabasa, Nora ncabasa at visalia.k12.ca.us
Tue Mar 7 13:59:49 PST 2017

GOLDEN WEST HIGH SCHOOL
HOME OF THE TRAILBLAZERS
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D2974B.15F7FA00]
Daily Bulletin - Volume 38; Issue 122
Wednesday, March 8, 2017

PARENTS AND STUDENTS:

Golden West Dance Presents our 11th annual spring dance production, "Life's a Beach When You're a Blazer" March 17 & 18 7:00 PM at the LJ Williams Theater. Don't miss this spectacular event including over 200 fully costumed student dancers complete with professional sound and lighting. Tickets are on sale now in the Dance Studio and finance office for $9.00. Tickets can also be purchased at the door.

A new shipment of Blazer sweatshirts are in the Student Store and they're AWESOME!  Price is $25.  Come by the Store to buy one to stay warm at the soccer game!

Western Week: Team sign-ups for Western Week will be each day at lunch starting Monday, March 13 and ending March 17. Co-Ed teams of 5 will need to have a team name and their $5.00 registration fee when they sign up. Sign-ups will be in front of the library. ***New this year*** Teams may bring 10 items for our Summer Survival Kit Drive in lieu of the $5 registration cost. The item list will be available this Wednesday.
Western Week is Monday, March 20th to Friday, March 24th. Below are the dress up days and daily activities:
Monday 3/20: Team Lunch & T-shirt Decorating at the Ag Department
Dress Up: American Monday (Red, White & Blue- 4th of July themed)

Tuesday 3/21: Inflatable Hamster Ball Roll
Dress Up: Tractor Tuesday (Farmer, Rancher, Tractor Operator)

Wednesday 3/22: Dessert Relay
Dress Up: Wacky Wednesday

Thursday 3/23: Obstacle Course
Dress Up: Camo/Bootcamp

Friday 3/24: Tug-O-War
Dress Up: FFA Friday (Blue & Gold, FFA Shirts, Dress Like your Advisor)

SENIOR PANORAMIC PICTURE will be taken immediately FOLLOWING THE VAPA ASSEMBLY on FRIDAY, MARCH 17 in the MAIN GYM.

Sadie Hawkins Dance - Sadie Takes a Holiday - is on Saturday, March 11 from 8-11 PM at Golden West High School. Sadie Hawkins Tickets go on sale Monday, March 6 before school, at lunch, and after school in the Finance Office.  Tickets are single admission - $15 with an ASB Sticker, $25 without an ASB Sticker, and $35 at the door.  Ticket sales will end on Friday, March 10 at 3:30 PM - you must be in line by 3:30 on Friday to get a pre-sale ticket.  Also, you must have a valid student I.D. and a Dance Clearance Form on file to purchase a ticket.

JUNIORS & SENIORS ONLY:
IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN FOR THE ENCHANTED EVENING PROM DRESS GIVE-AWAY & TUX RENTAL If the cost of a dress/tux causes a hardship, please sign up in the counseling department, presentation binder to participate in this event.  Prom Dress give away will be happening April 1st at 6:30 a.m. at the Wyndham Hotel (formerly Holiday Inn). Sign up is completely confidential, sign-up with your student ID # only. Last day to sign-up is March 24, 2017. See Mrs. McIntosh for further details.
BOYS who can't afford a tuxedo to attend Prom can also sign up in the counseling department, presentation binder. Tuxedos rentals will also be available on a first come, first serve basis.   Deadline is March 24, 2017 but some styles may be sold out if you wait, so sign up ASAP.  See Mrs. McIntosh in counseling department with any questions.
"The high school attendance incentive program-"It's Cool to Go to School"-is back!  Any student with PERFECT attendance this year is automatically entered into the drawing for a new Nissan Versa, courtesy of the Groppetti Automotive Family.  There are two ways to achieve PERFECT attendance this year; please visit your Attendance Office for contest information.

We have been experiencing candy sales during school hours. The Healthy Foods Act of California doesn't allow the sale of candy/food from 12 midnight to 4pm on school premises. Basically students can only sell after 4pm. They cannot sell before school or during school. Student selling candy during school time will have consequences.

Attention all seniors! Grad Nite tickets are still available and will go on sale again on Monday Feb. 27th. Tickets are $150 Pick-up permission slips at the finance office wall and they must be signed by a parent before you can purchase a ticket.

It is our pleasure to announce the Solar Project is moving along as scheduled.  We anticipate the transition of the barrier fencing to move from the north parking lot to the central and south parking lot on 2/18/17.   Please note there will be very minimal parking available in this area.  During this phase the fencing will remain in this location until March 24, as they will also move forward with the instillation of the solar framing.  We would like to thank you for your patience thus far and as we continue with this exciting project.

Library: Beginning Tuesday, February 21 students will be required to use their Student ID number to log into the computers.  The student log-in will no longer be allowed.

Calling all artists: You have a chance to help our school win $50,000!
VANS shoes sponsors a contest for high school students across the nation.
The blank VANS have arrived and we are tasked with designing 4 pairs of shoes around the themes of Art, Music, Local Flavor, and Action sports.
The top 50 are voted upon across the nation and the top 5 winning schools are awarded with an all paid trip to LA where the finalists are judged.
The deadline to submit the template designs is Wednesday, March 8th.The design templates are in the Art department with Mr. Vieira in A-3, or Mrs. K in A-9. The deadline to submit the photographs of the completed shoes is Friday, April 3rd.

COUNSELING DEPARTMENT:

The United States Military Academy Student Orientation for West Point will be held on March 16th from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Clovis Veterans Memorial District Building in Clovis.  Cadet Christopher Rieping from Madera, CA will conduct this orientation.  It is a great opportunity for prospective students to learn about USMA from a local Cadet.  The target is 9-12th grade students.  For more information check the "Presentation Binder" in the counseling dept.
The ASVAB test will be given March 15, 2017 at 8 a.m. in B1. The ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) is the most widely used multiple aptitude battery in the world. If you are curious about your future career choice or interested in the military, take advantage of everything the ASVAB Career Exploration Program has to offer and sign up to test! Whether you are a planning to go to college, a vocational school, the military, OR, if you are just not sure what you want to do yet, the ASVAB Career Exploration Program can provide you with important information about your skills, abilities, and interests.  Sign up in the "Presentation Binder" in the Counseling Office.

*AP students and parents: Please refer to the AP documents (http://www.vusd.org/webpages/gwhscounseling/ap.cfm) for information regarding the fees, dates, and deadlines for 2017 AP exams.

CLUBS:

FCA is back!!  Thursday at lunch in room A1... Let us treat you to lunch.

Blue Ribbon Club: Our next meeting will be March 8th during lunch in B-1. We will be holding meetings every Wednesday thereafter.

GSA club members: Meetings on Thursdays during lunch in room A-9.

XL PROGRAM:

Seniors! Make sure you come by the Career Center in the library after school. There are computers you may use. XL's college & career ambassador will be present to help and answer questions you may have. We look forward to seeing you there.

DANCE: Hip Hop Dance with Isaac Saesee meets Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-5:30 in the Dance Room!

SPORTS MEDICINE: Learn how to tend to athletes in Sports Medicine! Class meets Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 3:30-5:30 in the Trainer's Room!

As you know today, Tuesday at 4:00PM, our boys will be playing in the State Soccer Playoffs vs. Santa Maria High School. See the link below:

https://goo.gl/3ACxEW

STORIES INCLUDE
- Kids Day with Macy White
- Interview with George the Giraffe
- Valley Children's' stories of Kaitlyn & Matthew
- RJ's Team Coverage of Spring Sports
- Soccer Championship Game recap

https://goo.gl/s4S0Wt

[cid:image002.png at 01D2974B.15F7FA00]

Subscribe to Blazer Central: http://bit.ly/BlazerCentral

Zane Vieira, Executive Producer
Christian Santoyo, Creative Director
Tristan Turner, Chief Sports Producer
Carlos Sanchez, Graphic Manager
Jordan Rowley, News Director
Emmanuel Soto, Chief Editor
Paige Stewart & Eli Sanchez, News Anchors
Robert Ortega, Sports Anchor
Fidel Moreno & Tristan Turner, Field Reporters

Sincerely,

Nora Cabasa
Secretary II
Golden West High School