[GWHS-Bulletin] bulletin03.15.17

Cabasa, Nora ncabasa at visalia.k12.ca.us
Tue Mar 14 16:24:17 PDT 2017

HOME OF THE TRAILBLAZERS
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D29CDF.1CC30A70]
Daily Bulletin - Volume 38; Issue 127
Wednesday, March 15, 2017

PARENTS AND STUDENTS:

Last Call for Grad Nite tickets!!!! We only have 20 tickets left! If you want to go to Disneyland for Grad Nite May 17-18, please see Mrs. Hunter in the Finance Office before 10am this Friday, March 17!!!!!!!!!
Due to the weather getting warmer, this Friday will be the last day to wear beanies on campus.

PTA is holding a fundraiser on Tuesday, March 21st, 2017. It will be at Me & Ed's Pizza, 1530 N. Ben Maddox Way from 5:00pm-9:00pm. Flyers will be sent home with the students and must be presented to the cashier to ensure GWHS receives credit for the pizza purchased.  Thank you for your support!

Golden West Dance Presents our 11th annual spring dance production, "Life's a Beach When You're a Blazer" March 17 & 18 7:00 PM at the LJ Williams Theater. Don't miss this spectacular event including over 200 fully costumed student dancers complete with professional sound and lighting. Tickets are on sale now in the Dance Studio and finance office for $9.00. Tickets can also be purchased at the door.

SENIOR PANORAMIC PICTURE will be taken immediately FOLLOWING THE VAPA ASSEMBLY on FRIDAY, MARCH 17 in the MAIN GYM.

It's time for our 3rd Annual Visalia River Run on May 6th.  Early registration ends April 1st.
Sign up on Active.com by searching Visalia River Run or ask a band or orchestra student for a registration form. This is also a great team building experience for any clubs and/or sports. If you know any one that would like to be a sponsor of the Visalia River Run please contact Mr. McFarlane or Mr. Sosa.

"The high school attendance incentive program-"It's Cool to Go to School"-is back!  Any student with PERFECT attendance this year is automatically entered into the drawing for a new Nissan Versa, courtesy of the Groppetti Automotive Family.  There are two ways to achieve PERFECT attendance this year; please visit your Attendance Office for contest information.

It is our pleasure to announce the Solar Project is moving along as scheduled.  We anticipate the transition of the barrier fencing to move from the north parking lot to the central and south parking lot on 2/18/17.   Please note there will be very minimal parking available in this area.  During this phase the fencing will remain in this location until March 24, as they will also move forward with the instillation of the solar framing.  We would like to thank you for your patience thus far and as we continue with this exciting project.

Western Week

Western Week is Monday, March 20th to Friday, March 24th. Below are the dress up days and daily activities:
Monday 3/20: Team Lunch & T-shirt Decorating at the Ag Department
Dress Up: American Monday (Red, White & Blue- 4th of July themed)
Tuesday 3/21: Inflatable Hamster Ball Roll
Dress Up: Tractor Tuesday (Farmer, Rancher, Tractor Operator)
Wednesday 3/22: Dessert Relay
Dress Up: Wacky Wednesday
Thursday 3/23: Obstacle Course
Dress Up: Camo/Bootcamp
Friday 3/24: Tug-O-War
Dress Up: FFA Friday (Blue & Gold, FFA Shirts, Dress Like your Advisor)

Team sign-ups for Western Week will be each day at lunch starting Monday, March 13 and ending March 17. Co-Ed teams of 5 will need to have a team name and their $5.00 registration fee when they sign up. Sign-ups will be in front of the library. ***New this year*** Teams may bring 10 items for our Summer Survival Kit Drive in lieu of the $5 registration cost. The item list will be available this Wednesday.

JUNIORS & SENIORS ONLY:
IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN FOR THE ENCHANTED EVENING PROM DRESS GIVE-AWAY & TUX RENTAL If the cost of a dress/tux causes a hardship, please sign up in the counseling department, presentation binder to participate in this event.  Prom Dress give away will be happening April 1st at 6:30 a.m. at the Wyndham Hotel (formerly Holiday Inn). Sign up is completely confidential, sign-up with your student ID # only. Last day to sign-up is March 24, 2017. See Mrs. McIntosh for further details.
BOYS who can't afford a tuxedo to attend Prom can also sign up in the counseling department, presentation binder. Tuxedos rentals will also be available on a first come, first serve basis.   Deadline is March 24, 2017 but some styles may be sold out if you wait, so sign up ASAP.  See Mrs. McIntosh in counseling department with any questions.
We have been experiencing candy sales during school hours. The Healthy Foods Act of California doesn't allow the sale of candy/food from 12 midnight to 4pm on school premises. Basically students can only sell after 4pm. They cannot sell before school or during school. Student selling candy during school time will have consequences.

CLUBS:

FCA : Thursday at lunch in room A1... Let us treat you to lunch.

Blue Ribbon Club: Our next meeting will be Wednesday during lunch in B-1. We will be holding meetings every Wednesday.

GSA club members: Meetings on Thursdays during lunch in room A-9

Sports

Boys Basketball awards banquet will be Tuesday March 21st at 7pm in the Golden West Cafeteria.  We will be having a dessert potluck so please bring a dessert to share.  Water will be provided. Come celebrate a successful season for Golden West Boys Basketball.

COUNSELING DEPARTMENT:

Online summer school will be held at El Diamante HS this year. Requirements: Attend class 1 day a week at El Diamante HS; have own transportation; high speed internet access and your own computer; and be prepared to work a minimum of 5 hours per day.  Classes available will be World History, US History and Civics and Econ.  Spaces are limited and will be choose by Lottery. If you are interested in signing up for ONLINE SUMMER school please sign up in the "Presentation Binder" in the counseling department by Friday, March 17th at 3:30 p.m.

Attention sophomores and juniors: Interested in developing your leadership skills and learning about public policy? Then apply to the Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Project. You could spend one week at Sac State University for the Sacramento Leadership Conference, or 3 days in Fresno for the San Joaquin Valley institute. For further information or to apply  please visit clylp.org

The United States Military Academy Student Orientation for West Point will be held on March 16th from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Clovis Veterans Memorial District Building in Clovis.  Cadet Christopher Rieping from Madera, CA will conduct this orientation.  It is a great opportunity for prospective students to learn about USMA from a local Cadet.  The target is 9-12th grade students.  For more information check the "Presentation Binder" in the counseling dept.
The ASVAB test will be given March 15, 2017 at 8 a.m. in B1. The ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) is the most widely used multiple aptitude battery in the world. If you are curious about your future career choice or interested in the military, take advantage of everything the ASVAB Career Exploration Program has to offer and sign up to test! Whether you are a planning to go to college, a vocational school, the military, OR, if you are just not sure what you want to do yet, the ASVAB Career Exploration Program can provide you with important information about your skills, abilities, and interests.  Sign up in the "Presentation Binder" in the Counseling Office.

*AP students and parents: Please refer to the AP documents (http://www.vusd.org/webpages/gwhscounseling/ap.cfm) for information regarding the fees, dates, and deadlines for 2017 AP exams.

A new shipment of Blazer sweatshirts are in the Student Store and they're AWESOME!  Price is $25.  Come by the Store to buy one!

XL PROGRAM:

Hey Blazers! XL now has a sign-up sheet for a college campus visit to Fresno State. The trip will be on Wednesday April 26th. If you are interested in attending this trip you must be in good standing attendance-wise and do not have a grade lower than a C in your classes. Space is limited so stop by P-21 to secure your spot!

Seniors! Make sure you come by the Career Center in the library after school. There are computers you may use. XL's college & career ambassador will be present to help and answer questions you may have. We look forward to seeing you there.

DANCE: Hip Hop Dance with Isaac Saesee meets Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-5:30 in the Dance Room!

SPORTS MEDICINE: Learn how to tend to athletes in Sports Medicine! Class meets Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 3:30-5:30 in the Trainer's Room!

STORIES INCLUDE
- Meet Ms. Colum & Dance Leads
- Dance Show sneak peek
- ASB Candidates
- Kid's Day Highlights
- Man on Campus, "Tips for Asking a Guy to Sadies"
https://goo.gl/CTVtIX
[cid:image002.png at 01D29CDF.1CC30A70]
Subscribe to Blazer Central: http://bit.ly/BlazerCentral
Kids Day - Special Edition
Zane Vieira, Executive Producer
Christian Santoyo, Creative Director
Tristan Turner, Chief Sports Producer
Carlos Sanchez, Graphic Manager
Jordan Rowley, News Director
Emmanuel Soto, Chief Editor
Estrella Velasquez & Fidel Moreno, News Anchors
Chace Watson, Sports Anchor
Cesar Maya, Man on Campus

Sincerely,

Nora Cabasa