[GWHS-Bulletin] bulletin03.22.17

Cabasa, Nora ncabasa at visalia.k12.ca.us
Tue Mar 21 16:27:34 PDT 2017

GOLDEN WEST HIGH SCHOOL
HOME OF THE TRAILBLAZERS
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D2A260.0BA887C0]
Daily Bulletin - Volume 38; Issue 132
Wednesday, March 22, 2017

PARENTS AND STUDENTS:

Due to the weather getting warmer, no beanies are to be worn on campus.

It is that time of year again, the high school musical Big Fish is rapidly approaching! Come on out and have a great time with this wonderful family show. The dates of the event are April 5th-8th at the LJ Williams Theatre. Tickets are $12 and $10 with student ID and are available in the finance office before school, at lunch, and after school.
Tickets also available at the webstore https://webstores.activenetwork.com/school-software/golden_west_high_sch/

It's time for our 3rd Annual Visalia River Run on May 6th.  Early registration ends April 1st.
Sign up on Active.com by searching Visalia River Run or ask a band or orchestra student for a registration form. This is also a great team building experience for any clubs and/or sports. If you know any one that would like to be a sponsor of the Visalia River Run please contact Mr. McFarlane or Mr. Sosa.

"The high school attendance incentive program-"It's Cool to Go to School"-is back!  Any student with PERFECT attendance this year is automatically entered into the drawing for a new Nissan Versa, courtesy of the Groppetti Automotive Family.  There are two ways to achieve PERFECT attendance this year; please visit your Attendance Office for contest information.

It is our pleasure to announce the Solar Project is moving along as scheduled.  We anticipate the transition of the barrier fencing to move from the north parking lot to the central and south parking lot on 2/18/17.   Please note there will be very minimal parking available in this area.  During this phase the fencing will remain in this location until March 24, as they will also move forward with the instillation of the solar framing.  We would like to thank you for your patience thus far and as we continue with this exciting project.

COUNSELING DEPARTMENT:

The Red Sand Project is a nationwide participatory art exhibit to bring awareness to the issue of human trafficking.   It will be part of the Visalia Arts Consortium's First Friday Art Walk on May 5th.  Visalia Rotary club members will give out the red sand and host information booths on human trafficking at the Visalia Fox Theatre from 5:00-8:00 p.m.  Attendees will fill cracks with the sand all along the Art Walk route. Rotarians of Visalia invite us to join with them to fight human trafficking in our community. The Visalia Rotarians are also hosting a Red Sand Art Project with $500 & $1000 college scholarships.  Please see the Golden West Scholarship web page for an application.
Attention sophomores and juniors: Interested in developing your leadership skills and learning about public policy? Then apply to the Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Project. You could spend one week at Sac State University for the Sacramento Leadership Conference, or 3 days in Fresno for the San Joaquin Valley institute. For further information or to apply please visit clylp.org

Western Week

Western Week is Monday, March 20th to Friday, March 24th. Below are the dress up days and daily activities:
Monday 3/20: Team Lunch & T-shirt Decorating at the Ag Department
Dress Up: American Monday (Red, White & Blue- 4th of July themed)
Tuesday 3/21: Inflatable Hamster Ball Roll
Dress Up: Tractor Tuesday (Farmer, Rancher, Tractor Operator)
Wednesday 3/22: Dessert Relay
Dress Up: Wacky Wednesday
Thursday 3/23: Obstacle Course
Dress Up: Camo/Bootcamp
Friday 3/24: Tug-O-War
Dress Up: FFA Friday (Blue & Gold, FFA Shirts, Dress Like your Advisor)

JUNIORS & SENIORS ONLY:
IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN FOR THE ENCHANTED EVENING PROM DRESS GIVE-AWAY & TUX RENTAL. If the cost of a dress/tux causes a hardship, please sign up in the counseling department, presentation binder to participate in this event.  Prom Dress give away will be happening April 1st at 6:30 a.m. at the Wyndham Hotel (formerly Holiday Inn). Sign up is completely confidential, sign-up with your student ID # only. Last day to sign-up is March 24, 2017. See Mrs. McIntosh for further details.
BOYS who can't afford a tuxedo to attend Prom can also sign up in the counseling department, presentation binder. Tuxedos rentals will also be available on a first come, first serve basis. Deadline is March 24, 2017 but some styles may be sold out if you wait, so sign up ASAP.  See Mrs. McIntosh in counseling department with any questions.
CLUBS:

Link Crew Application deadline has been extended until Thursday, March 23 @ 1:30 PM
FCA : Thursday at lunch in room A1... Let us treat you to lunch.

Blue Ribbon Club: Our next meeting will be Wednesday during lunch in B-1. We will be holding meetings every Wednesday.

GSA club members: Meetings on Thursdays during lunch in room A-9

Sports
Girls Soccer: For all returning players or girls interested in playing next year, please attend our quick informational meeting in P12 after school on Thursday, March 23rd to discuss summer league and upcoming events.

Cheer: Golden West Cheer Tryouts are just around the corner! Pick up your cheer packet from Mr. DeLong in the athletic office today. Clinics will be held April 18-20 4-6 PM in the gym. Tryouts will be held Friday April 21st beginning at 4 PM in the gym. If you have questions please see Ms. Cullum in the dance studio.
A new shipment of Blazer sweatshirts are in the Student Store and they're AWESOME!  Price is $25.  Come by the Store to buy one!

XL PROGRAM:

Hey Blazers! XL now has a sign-up sheet for a college campus visit to Fresno State. The trip will be on Wednesday April 26th. If you are interested in attending this trip you must be in good standing attendance-wise and do not have a grade lower than a C in your classes. Space is limited so stop by P-21 to secure your spot!

Seniors! Make sure you come by the Career Center in the library after school. There are computers you may use. XL's college & career ambassador will be present to help and answer questions you may have. We look forward to seeing you there.

DANCE: Hip Hop Dance with Isaac Saesee meets Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-5:30 in the Dance Room!

SPORTS MEDICINE: Learn how to tend to athletes in Sports Medicine! Class meets Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 3:30-5:30 in the Trainer's Room!

STORIES INCLUDE
- Interviews with VAPA Performers
- Buckley on Doepker Field
- Western Week
- HR Problems in Blazer Central
- Chace Watson on Sports
https://goo.gl/8T51gj

[cid:image002.png at 01D2A260.0BA887C0]

Subscribe to Blazer Central: http://bit.ly/BlazerCentral
Zane Vieira, Executive Producer
Christian Santoyo, Creative Director
Tristan Turner, Chief Sports Producer
Carlos Sanchez, Graphic Manager
Jordan Rowley, News Director
Emmanuel Soto, Chief Editor
Rylee Yocum & Eli Sanchez, News Anchors
Chace Watson, Sports Anchor
Estrella Velasquez & Fidel Moreno, News Anchors
Chace Watson, Sports Anchor
Cesar Maya, Man on Campus

Sincerely,

Nora Cabasa