[GWHS-Bulletin] 11.09.17 bulletin

Cabasa, Nora ncabasa at visalia.k12.ca.us
Wed Nov 8 16:40:21 PST 2017

GOLDEN WEST HIGH SCHOOL
HOME OF THE TRAILBLAZERS
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D358AF.0FE58EE0]
Daily Bulletin - Volume 39; Issue 62
Thursday, November 9, 2017

Parents and Students:

We would like to inform you of a great new program! We now have the "Ivanhoe Computer Lab" for VUSD students living in the Ivanhoe area open. The Lab is set up in the Ivanhoe Elementary School Multipurpose Room. It is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6pm to 8pm. It is a space for students to access computers or the Internet to work on homework, research or school projects.

The north access road is to be used by school busses ONLY between the hours of 6am and 4pm.

Harvest dance pictures are in!!! Please stop by the attendance office before school during lunch and after school to pick them up.

Blazer Spirit shirts are available in the Student Store for $9!  Show your Blazer Pride!

GW Decals are available to order through the PTA. Pick up an order form in the front office. What a great way to show your Blazer Pride!

Calling all Trailblazers! Let's take pride in our campus by keeping it clean! Please pick up after yourself and use the trash cans.
Athletics:
Boys' Basketball: Freshmen and JV tryouts started on the week of Monday, November 6th in the main gym.  Tryouts will be 5:30-7:00.  Varsity practice begins at 7.   All boys interested in playing basketball this season need to attend.

Girls Basketball:  Girls interested in playing basketball need to come by FS-3 during school to see how to sign up for try outs.  Practice times this week: Tuesday 3:40 - 5, Wednesday 5:30-7, Thursday TBA, Friday 9 - 11 am, Saturday 6:30 - 8 pm.
Counseling Dept.:
ATTN SENIORS: Our CASH FOR COLLEGE Workshop (FAFSA) will be Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017 at 5:30 - 8 p.m. in the school library.  You and your parent are encouraged to create your FSA ID PRIOR to this workshop.  You were given a handout of "What you need to bring/know" on that night during the COS Application Workshop.  If you will be attending a CSU or UC you can pick up a copy of "what to bring" in the counseling department from the presentation binder. All college bound students who will be attending the Cash for College night need to sign up in the counseling department for planning purposes.
In addition to Cash for College night a UC Application Workshop will be held on the same night, (Tues., Nov. 14, 2017) at our Visalia Unified District Office (5000 W. Cypress St.) in Room 10 of the Learning Center at 6 p.m.
If you miss out on any of our college workshops you can still get help filling out your FAFSA or any College application, in the XL after school program.  Our College & Career Ambassador, Alyssa Santana is available after school in the library.
AP students and parents: Please refer to the AP documents (http://www.vusd.org/webpages/gwhscounseling/ap.cfm) for information regarding the fees, dates, and deadlines for 2017 AP exams.  You may also obtain forms for Fee Waivers and/or your one free AP exam provided by VUSD.  We also accept payments via credit card online at the GW webstore!  (http://webstores.activenetwork.com/school-software/golden_west_high_sch/).  March 2nd is the absolute last day to pay for AP Exams!

ATTN SENIORS: The 2018-19 College of the Sequoias Scholarship Application is now available!  By filling out this one application you are open to hundreds of scholarships opportunities at COS.  COS gave over $400,000 in scholarships last year. Don't miss out!!  See the Golden West Scholarship page to apply.  The application deadline is November 27, 2017.

Clubs:

GDUB CAR CLUB MEETING: This Thursday at Lunch in M7. We will be discussing the Car Club Logo Art Contest and plans for the spring. Bring your lunch - See you there!

FCA Today! Grab a friend or two, head over to room A-1 and let us treat you to lunch. To celebrate the upcoming Veterans Day, we will have former student/athlete and Army Veteran T. Jeffcoach speaking to us... You don't want to miss this one!!!

GSA Member! No meeting this Thursday. Meetings resume next week to get T-shirts and plan for upcoming activities!

Are any of your students in the 9th-11th grade
interested in design and cars? You could help them start their career and shape the future of car design with the 2018 CDN & GM Interactive competition<https://legacy.vusd.org/owa/redir.aspx?REF=Rk0GQUMBmXqopHI78ZA_3oKYJwvzKpPCqliBvI_rRpBcR_dgPxrVCAFodHRwOi8vdWx0aW1hLW1lZGlhLm1zZ2ZvY3VzLmNvbS9jLzFuWmszMGFUc2pjZUhWYUZDSVdoVHNGdQ..>, which is now open for registrations. Winners will receive a special Summer Experience course at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit (in July 2018) - one of the most highly respected colleges for design in the world - and an iPad Pro. Additionally, finalists and semi-finalists will receive a Car Design News subscription. Everyone who enters will receive guidance and support about their work from professional designers working at GM. See Mrs. K in A-9 for more information.
Anime Club is meeting every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday in S-1 (lunch). You do not need to attend all three days to be a member. Grab you lunch and join the fun!

XL Program:

I have attached the XL November calendar with all of our current programs listed. It also includes student tutor schedules on the back.

ATTN SENIORS PLANNING ON ATTENDING A California State University (CSU): If you missed the CSU workshop you can still get help in the XL after school program.  Our College & Career Ambassador, Angela Santana is available after school in the library.  Application deadline is Nov. 30, 2017 for fall of 2018.

Here is the special edition of Blazer Central.

https://youtu.be/zP9NWn3iCHE

Sincerely,

Nora Cabasa
Secretary II