[GWHS-Bulletin] 09.07.17 bulletin

Cabasa, Nora ncabasa at visalia.k12.ca.us
Wed Sep 6 16:00:04 PDT 2017

GOLDEN WEST HIGH SCHOOL
HOME OF THE TRAILBLAZERS
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D32728.11F413E0]
Daily Bulletin - Volume 39; Issue 19
Thursday, September 7, 2017

Pictures are in! Students may pick up pictures throughout the day between classes, during lunch or after school. Please pick them up at the attendance desk.

Parents and Students:

Friday Night Fever... Want to play a role in this year's Homecoming assembly? We are looking for dancers to perform in the annual Homecoming assembly on Friday 9/22/17. If you are interested there is a MANDATORY meeting on Friday 9/8/17 at lunch in the dance studio. Rehearsals will take place during lunch in the dance studio 2 to 3 days per week. We hope to see you there! Please see Ms. Cullum in the dance studio if you have any questions or email her smeyers at vusd.org<mailto:smeyers at vusd.org>.

Make up pictures will be taken Today, September 7th.  If you would like to purchase pictures, there are extra picture fliers in the front office, also if you do not have an ID card you must be photographed on this date.
*If you have purchased an ASB card you must show your receipt at the time pictures are taken*
Attention ALL Seniors that have not taken our senior portraits with Verissimo Photography will take pictures during your Civics & Econ Class on Sept 7th.

Seniors don't forget to tell your parents to purchase your Senior Tribute. They are still on sale, however, the prices will be increased on September 8th. Pick up a form in the office or at lunch in room A-11.
14th annual Visalia Teen Idol is on September 9th at 6pm in the Redwood High School LJ Williams Theater. Purchase Pre-Sale tickets for only $7 at the Anthony Community Center. $10 at the door.

Dress Code: please be advised that dress code will be strictly enforced.  Please refer to the student conduct code handbook for the dress code policy.

Blazer spirit shirts are available in the Student Store for $9!  Show your Blazer Pride!

Counseling Dept.:

The following College Representatives' will be on campus the week of Sept. 11th during lunch in the Quad area.  Be sure to take advantage of this opportunity and visit their tables to learn about their colleges!
Biola University - Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017
Concordia University Irvine - Wednesday, Sept 13, 2017
Dordt College - Friday, Sept. 15, 2017

ATTN Juniors & Seniors:  SCICON COUNSELORS ARE NEEDED
Our first group of Counselors will be going the week of Sept. 11.  If you are interested you MUST be in good academic standing, (C average or better), Good Discipline and Attendance record and be a good role model.  If you meet these qualifications sign up in the Counseling Dept. "Presentation Binder" and speak with Mrs. McIntosh.  A Scicon informational meeting will be held soon.

The ASVAB test will be Sept 14, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. in P-21. The ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery is the most widely used multiple aptitude battery in the world. If you are curious about your future career choice or interested in the military, take advantage of everything the ASVAB Career Exploration Program has to offer and sign up to test! Whether you are a planning to go to college, a vocational school, the military, OR, if you are just not sure what you want to do yet, the ASVAB Career Exploration Program can provide you with important information about your skills, abilities, and interests - AND help set you on the right course for a satisfying career! Sign up in the "Presentation Binder" in the Counseling Office.

Tulare County College Night will be held September 12, 2017 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. at the Visalia Convention Center.  Representatives from over 90 colleges, Universities and specialty schools will be available to speak with about their campuses and educational programs.  You can also attend valuable informational seminars on the following topics: College and University Admissions; Financial Aid; Scholarship Opportunities; Writing College Admission Essays; Spanish Language Sessions

Clubs:

This first meeting of the GDub Car Club will be TODAY, Thursday, September 7 in the choir room M-1. Get out of the heat and bring your lunch! We will begin the process of getting our club off the starting line with discussions of officers and our purpose.

Women of Excellence: The Club is a GO.  We meet every Wednesday in A-9 during lunch. Bring a friend! We'll be planning for Homecoming and the fall semester events.

GSA Club: We meet every Thursday during lunch in A-9. We'll need to plan for homecoming and for upcoming events. The GSA Area Representative will be on campus on September 14th to help us grow the club and plan for future events!

Athletics:

Athletic Clearance: Golden West is now offering online student - athletic clearance through Family ID.  This is a secure and user friendly way to register for our athletic clearance.  All information can be found on the Golden West website .....trailblazerathletics.com then click on Student Athletic Clearance tab.   This form of clearance will now be mandatory along with a current physical.

XL Program:

XL Students wishing to attend the field trip to UCSB:  There is a mandatory meeting this Friday September 8th at 3:30 pm in the library?  Any student that wishes to go on the field trip MUST attend - we will be going over important information regarding the trip.  Thank you for all your help!

The Golden West ProYouth XL Team is currently looking for students that would like to be Student Tutors!  This is a paid position through XL and students must fill out an application which can be picked up in Room E-10.  Minimum qualifications are:  Cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher, an A or B in the course they wish to tutor, good communication skills, and preference will be given to upperclassmen.  All applicants must fill out an XL application that includes two teacher recommendation forms.  If you have any question, please contact Angela Santana at 559-731-5621 or at asantana at pyheart.org<mailto:asantana at pyheart.org>.  Thank you!

Golden West ProYouth XL Program will be taking students on a College Campus Tour of UC Santa Barbara on September 14th, 2017!  This trip is free and is open to all students who meet minimum academic requirements - space will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.  To pick up a permission slip or to get more information, please stop by Room E-10 or contact Angela Santana at 559-731-5621 or at asantana at pyheart.org<mailto:asantana at pyheart.org>.  Thank you!

New Office!  Come visit us in our new location E-10, to see what's new in XL!
Fresh Meals: All students can receive a free meal every day after school in E-10.

Sincerely,

Nora Cabasa
Secretary II
Golden West High School