[GWHS-Bulletin] 02.20.19 bulletin

Cabasa, Nora ncabasa at vusd.org
Wed Feb 20 09:12:58 PST 2019

GOLDEN WEST HIGH SCHOOL
HOME OF THE TRAILBLAZERS
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4C8FC.74F1BB60]

Daily Bulletin - Volume 40; Issue 108
Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Congratulations to our Girls Soccer Team! They will be playing in the Division III Central Section Finals. Game day is Friday, February 22, 6:00pm here at Golden West. Come out and show your school spirit and support these amazing athletes!!

NEW INFORMATION:

A representative from Grand Canyon University (GCU) will be on campus TODAY, Feb. 20, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m. in the Career Center.   Seniors, it is not too late to apply and underclassmen it is never too early to learn how a private education can be affordable!  Grand Canyon University has D1 athletic programs and over 190 majors to choose from.  There are still spots left on our free overnight visits to the campus.  With new classroom buildings, popular dining options, state-of-the-art athletic facilities and so much more, the GCU campus is the perfect place to call home for the next four years.  If you would like to meet with her please sign up in the Counseling Dept. Presentation Binder.

It's coming on March 6th!!  Mr. Rodgers, our very own EMT, will once again be offering the EMS/Health Careers XL Class!  Start date is March 6th, so plan ahead, as this class fills quickly...9 field trips and many professional guest speakers!!!    Questions???   Come to P-17 and check out the tentative schedule at:  http://bit.ly/emss2019

BOYS WATER POLO: Are you interested in playing water polo next year? Come to an informational meeting this Friday (Feb, 22) at lunch in room A-1 and meet the new head coach Erik Schlick. Also, find out when GW-WP will start up again and find out information about GW Summer Water Polo. Looking forward to meeting all of you, Coach Schlick.

New reminder: Mr. Loliva is excited to announce that he will be leading a trip to Washington DC in the summer of 2020.  Anyone interested in traveling as a representative of our community to our nation's capital should plan to attend the meeting on Thursday, February 21st at 6:00pm in room FS2.  See Mr. Loliva in FS2 for more details if interested.

National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
Good morning, students and teachers. The countdown to the NAEP assessment is underway. We are only 9 days away from NAEP Day on March 1, 2019 when some of our 12th-graders will take this important assessment to measure our nation's educational progress. Students and teachers, if you have any questions, please reach out to Mrs. Diaz our School's NAEP coordinator. Thank you.

All Parents and Students

ATTN SOPHOMORE BOYS:  At this time of year Scicon is permitting you to be camp counselors with your counselor approval.  You must have grades of C or better, good attendance and no discipline issues.  Junior & Senior boys are also always needed as counselors.  Please see Mrs. McIntosh in the counseling office to sign up.

Attention all students and parents: This is a reminder that any Golden West student found on another VUSD campus before, during, or after school other than GWHS is considered trespassing. Any students that ride the bus home must catch the bus on the GWHS campus.

Students are not allowed to wear any headgear. This includes, but is not limited to caps bandanas, visors, sweatbands, hairnets, and do-rags. Due to the cold weather beanies will be allowed during these colder months. The beanies must be free of logos or decorations. The only logo that will be allowed will be our school logo. The beanies must be a single color white, black, grey, brown, tan or gold. They may only be worn outdoors. Please avoid a dress code violation by no longer bringing or wearing them on campus. This dress code will be enforced.

Attention All Students! REGARDING TARDIES - If you have 4 or more tardies in one week you will lose off campus lunch privileges or be assigned lunch detention. To avoid these restrictions, please work to be ON TIME TO CLASS!

Students must have a valid GW student ID card to be allowed off campus during lunch.

Attention SENIORS: Grad Nite will be Tuesday, May 21, 2019 from 7:30am through Wednesday, May 22, 2019. Tickets will go on sale on the GW Webstore from Friday, March 1, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. through Monday, March 4th at 6 am.  $185 + a small processing fee (credit cards only). This is the link to the GW webstore: https://webstores.activenetwork.com/school-software/golden_west_high_sch/ You should log in, then go to departments and click "tickets".  Then follow the instructions to purchase your Grad Nite ticket with your credit card. Non Webstore ticket sales will begin Monday, March 4th through Thursday, March 7th before school, during lunch and after school @ the GW Finance office window. To purchase a ticket you must have no financial obligations (fines) and be eligible for extracurricular activities. Bring your student I.D, completed permission slip (permission slips are available in front of the Finance office) and either $185 cash or checks made payable to Golden West High School. Bus selection will be completed at a later date.

Clubs:

FCA: FCA Wednesdays! Grab a friend or two then head on over to room A-1.

Athletics:

Athletic Clearance: Golden West is offering online student athletic clearance through Family ID.  This is a secure and user friendly way to register for our athletic clearance.  All information can be found on the Golden West website .....trailblazerathletics.com then click on Student Athletic Clearance tab. This form of clearance is now mandatory along with a current physical.

Counseling

The ASVAB test will be given March 6, 2019 at 8:15 a.m. in the GW CAFETERIA. The ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) is the most widely used multiple aptitude battery in the world. Whether you are a planning to go to college, a vocational school, the military, OR, if you are just not sure what you want to do as a career, the ASVAB Career Exploration Program can provide you with important information about your skills, abilities, and interests - AND help set you on the right course for a satisfying career! Sign up in the "Presentation Binder" in the Counseling Office.

ATTN SENIORS: The Visalia Education Foundation Scholarship Application is now available. The Foundation awards over $50,000 in scholarships to Visalia Unified School District High School seniors each year. By filling out this one application you may qualify for up to 26 different scholarships.  Do not miss out on this scholarship opportunity!  See the Golden West Scholarship web page for more information and to apply.  Applications are due to Visalia Unified District Office by 5 p.m., Friday March 8, 2019.

*AP students and parents: AP Tests are now on sale!! Please refer to the AP documents for information regarding the fees, dates, and deadlines for 2018/2019 AP exams. https://www.vusd.org/Page/12318  We also accept payments via credit card online at the GW webstore! https://webstores.activenetwork.com/school-software/golden_west_high_sch/  March 8, 2019 is the absolute last day to pay for AP Exams! Be sure to check and see if your student qualifies for a fee waiver, and if so, the directions for obtaining a fee waiver.  The fee waiver paperwork can be completed immediately and turned in to Mrs. McIntosh in the office.  For any questions contact Mrs. Gajdusek in the counseling office.

XL Program

XL is offering Credit Recovery on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:30pm in E-10. However, attending Wednesday classes is not a substitute for Monday classes.

Hip-Hop Dance is happening on Wednesdays and Thursdays in the dance room from 3:30-5:30 pm.

Boxing on Mondays and Tuesdays in P-29 near the stadium from 3:30-5:30 pm.

Mr. Peterson will be tutoring History. Meet in P2 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-5:30pm.

Math Tutorials every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in Mr. Lopez's room P-14.

Mr. Elsharkawy in room S-5 will tutor Chemistry and Physics every Tues. & Wed.

Sports Medicine on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the Trainer's room from 3:30-5:30 pm.

Weightlifting will be meeting on Monday & Thursday after school 3:30-4:30 pm in the weight room.

Here is the Link for Blazer Central: https://youtu.be/t4wgGS_S7kA

Sincerely,

Nora Cabasa
Secretary II