[LJMS-Bulletin] Thursday Bulletin 4.19.18

Sales, Julie jsales at visalia.k12.ca.us
Wed Apr 18 16:21:25 PDT 2018

Thursday, April 19th, 2018
Today is a regular bell schedule

Good morning Explorers, let's remember to have La Joya PRIDE in everything we do!

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

*Tomorrow is the early registration deadline for the 2019 trip to Washington D.C. & NYC! Come see Ms. Austerman in Room 407 to learn more details about this educational, fun, and life-changing adventure!
*Athletics is selling pizza tomorrow, $2 a slice and $1 for a water.

*Table washers are needed for 1st and 2nd lunch, and lunch workers are needed for 2nd lunch.   If you are interested, please see Mrs. McLeroy in the Cafeteria before school or at break.

*Congratulations are in order from the Band and Orchestra recent trip to Disneyland for "Music in the Park":

*       Our advanced band was awarded 1st place overall for concert bands, and a superior rating
*       Our jazz band was awarded 1st place
*       Aidan Vasquez got an outstanding/overall soloist award!
*       7th grade orchestra earned 1st place
*       8th grade orchestra earned 2nd place

Great job, Mr. Sprague and Mrs. Scrafford!

* Fun Friday
Tomorrow we will be having a "Fun Friday" One-Lunch Bell Schedule.  Lunch will be from 11:46am - 12:46pm.   There will be pizza and burritos for sale!   Come on out and enjoy!

*Saturday University
Pickleball is back!! Sign up to play pickleball with Ms. Beggs on Saturday. Go to the La Joya website, Saturday University Link to register today!!"

 *    Next week is ARK week (Acts of Random Kindness).
There will be wooden signs throughout the campus encouraging all of La Joya to do acts of random kindness. We will also have the "Kindness tree" for inspiration (located on the North side of the library). In the cafeteria, we will have an "I AM" wall, where students can write a word or phrase that describes them.  On Thursday Apr. 26th, we will have a tie dye dress up day and a rally that afternoon.  During the rally, we will also be granting wishes at our annual make a wish (remember Twenty one Pilots last year?).   Inspirational videos will be shown all of next week, encouraging kindness on a daily basis.  Consider modeling acts of random kindness with fellow Explorers when you walk by a "Kindness" sign.  Finally, you can expect to find a little surprise in your P.E. locker courtesy of ASB/Leadership sometime next week.

Sports news

Congratulations to the La Joya track team who had an excellent meet Tuesday in Hanford. Outstanding 8th grade athletes were Donan Benavente with first in the 100, and Makai Puga in 4th.Donan Benavente took 2nd in the 200, Cole Kenison took 5th in the 400 m run. Jesse Ortiz took 2nd in the 800 and Payton Diaz took 8th. James Mata took 6th in the mile and Nathan Torabi took 7th. In shot put Jacob Ybarra took 9th, Dominic Huston took 10th,Chanel Santiago took 5th and Alexandra Conway took 7th. Jada Malone took 4th in long jump, Kailynn Rios took 7th. Both girls also placed in the high jump with Jada taking 1st and Kailynn taking 3rd.  Hudson Flores took 8th in Triple jump.
Our 8th grade boys relay team in the 4 x 100 took first place and smoked the competition. Athletes in that race were Makai Puga, Zach Alvarez, Daniel Lopez, and Donan Benavente with a time of 50.17.

Our 7th grade standout athletes were as follows. Jazper Malone took 2nd in the 100 and 200 m run, Tysai Martinez took 2nd in the 100. Albert Cano took 5th in the 400m, and Taylor Lucio 9th. Lynea Rivera took 6th in the 800m and Albert Cano took 5th. Isabella Saenz took 2nd in shot put, Mia Santeliz took 7th, Oscar Gutierrez took 9th.
Mia Santeliz took 8th in the discus, Andres Padilla took 1st.  Jazper Malone took 1st in long jump, Isabella Saenz took 5th, and Taylor Lucio 10th. Avery Conway and Andres Padilla tied for 5th in the high jump, Lynea took 7th place and Asiane took 8th for the girl high jump.
                Great job Track!

Have a Great Day, Explorers!  Remember to have LJ PRIDE in who you are, in what you do, and in our school.

Julie Sales
Secretary II
La Joya Middle School
Telephone:  559-730-7302