Daily Bulletin 8-24-17

Hayslett, Lorei lhayslett at visalia.k12.ca.us
Wed Aug 23 15:05:38 PDT 2017

REDWOOD HIGH SCHOOL             [cid:image001.jpg at 01D31C21.47607A80]
BULLETIN
8/24/17

TODAY:

 1.  ASB is selling Dominos Pizza in the QUAD at lunch TODAY through Friday!  $2.00 a slice!

2.       ATTENTION FRESHMAN GIRLS if you are interested in playing SOFTBALL for the Rangers in the spring of 2018 there will be a short (30 minutes) MEETING TODAY in Room 56 (metal shop) for Freshman, and Sophomores and Juniors who have not played at Redwood before.  If you cannot attend the meeting see Coach Rooney individually in Room 56 for more info.

3.       FEMINIST PERSPECTIVE MEETS TODAY!  We will be hosting a representative from an organization called ACT for Women and Girls, she will be talking about ACT's Female Leadership Academy and ways we can hone leadership skills, engage with the community, meet community leaders and even visit the Capitol in Sacramento at the conclusion!  Academic Building, Room 43, bring lunch and a friend!

4.       The First FBLA MEETING will be held TODAY at lunch in Room 74 in the Business Building.  Come enjoy pizza and see what FBLA is all about and what we have planned for the year!  #JoinTheTradition
SPORTS TODAY/EARLY RELEASES:
Girls Water Polo @ Tulare Union Tourney - Varsity 3:00 p.m./Early Release 1:15 p.m.
Volleyball vs. Porterville 4:30 p.m.
Girls Golf @ Clovis West 2:00 p.m./Early Release 11:00 a.m.
Football vs. Reedley - Frosh 5:00 p.m.
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT:

1.       We are hosting again this year a MINI COLLEGE FAIR on Tuesday September 12th during 6th Period in the Cafeteria.  Those students interested in attending, please sign up in the Counseling Office.

2.       A UCLA representative will be on campus Thursday September 14th during 3rd period in the upstairs library.  Sign up in the Counseling Office.
PREVIOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS:

1.       Are you a responsible and outgoing high school student?  Are you looking for a job?  Well look no further!  XL is looking for a select group of Rangers to join our XL Team!  If you are interested in becoming a PAID tutor, applications will be available in the Upstairs Library starting TODAY.  They will be due Friday August 25th.  We look forward to working with you.

2.       GIRLS WRESTLING MEETING at lunch on Friday August 25th in Room 39 of the Academic Building.  Bring your lunch and we will be discussing preseason conditioning and fundraising.

 1.  BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT Monday August 28th from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

4.       SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL is in need to parent representatives to serve on our committee.  You may nominate yourself or a peer by filling out a form at Back To School Night August 28th.  We will have a table set up on the south side of the Main Office.  Please contact Mrs. Tomola if you have any questions, 730-7367.

5.       PROYOUTH XL/SEED - Students Empowered by Exposure to Diversity would like to extend an invitation to all our students interested in "Film Critique".  Join us on August 28th for our first film "The Bronze Screen:  100 Years of the Latino Image in Hollywood" at the Tulare County Office of Education.  Doors open at 5:00 p.m., film will start at 5:30 p.m.  Join us as we kick off our first annual educational film series in Visalia with an overall look at how Latinas and Latinos have been portrayed or marginalized since the beginning of the film industry.  Stay after the film for an engaging and thought provoking discussion about the film with other students and community members.  Pick up a participating permit after at the XL office upstairs in the Library.  Next film September 26th "Dolores" - fieldtrip to Maya Cinemas at Fresno, CA. reserve your spot!

6.       ARMY REPRESENTATIVE will be on campus Tuesday August 29th during lunch in the QUAD to provide information on army scholarships for juniors and seniors.

7.       CSF MEMBERSHIP DRIVE!  CSF membership for Spring 2017 grades will be held the week of August 29th through September 1st.  Bring the following to Room 108 during lunch:  *completed application form (pick up early in Room 108)  *official copy of Spring semester report card or a transcript (juniors and seniors) from the office requested 3-4 days prior to when needed  *a donation of one hardback book for the Redwood Library and  *$5 for dues to cover graduation materials.  Friday September 1st is the deadline to apply.  Freshmen are not eligible to apply for membership until January 2018 but may attend meetings and activities. If you have any questions or concerns, please email Mrs. Cheatwood at gcheatwood at vusd.org<mailto:gcheatwood at vusd.org> or come by her room.  The first CSF MEETING this year is Wednesday September 6th in the Band Room at lunch.  CSF Rangers Rock!!

 1.  ROTARY YOUTH EXCHANGE SCHOLARSHIP STUDY ABROAD:  Information MEETING for parents and students interested in spending a year of their high school studying overseas.  Each year Rotary handles over 8,000 students in this opportunity of a lifetime.  September 3rd, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. at San Joaquin Valley College, 8344 W. Mineral King Ave.  Contact Douglas Arnold 559-802-8645 http://www.RYE5230.com
 2.  CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY will be on campus Wednesday September 13th during 1st period upstairs library.  There will be a sign-up sheet in the counseling office.
 3.  Redwood's ALL SCHOOL MUSICAL will be "SEUSSICAL THE MUSICAL!"  Auditions will be late September!  See Mrs. Galvan for more info!  Room 15 Drama Room.
 4.  If you are interested in playing SOFTBALL for the Rangers in the Spring '18, we will be conditioning Mondays & Wednesdays from 3:40 - 5:00 p.m.  See coach Rooney in Room 56 if you need more info.

12.   XL PROGRAMS ARE BACK!  Get ready for another fun-filled year with programs such as:  Auto, Video, Hip-Hop, Robotics, Credit Recovery, tutorials, Weight Training, Band, Leadership, Pro-med, and Latina Cinema.  We also have Jiu Jitsu coming soon!  Please stay tuned for starting dates of programs and remember anyone is welcome to join!  For more information feel free to visit your XL Staff (Alex, Chris, and Rosa) in the Upstairs Library.

13.   STUDENTS:  ASB STICKERS can be purchased in the Finance Office for $30!  The sticker can save you money on Home Athletic Events and Dances!  Come and get an ASB Sticker!

14.   STUDENTS AND STAFF:  Please be advised we will NO LONGER UTILIZE THE 2 MINUTE WARNING BELL!  Please be mindful of the time and plan accordingly to get to class on time!

15.   SKATEBOARD RACKS have been installed on the east side of the LJ Williams Theatre.  Please utilize the racks to store your boards during the day.  Students must provide their own combination locks.
SENIORS:

1.       SENIOR MEETING:  There will be a Senior Meeting on Wednesday August 30th at 12:00 p.m. in the Gym.  Please excuse seniors from class at 11:50 p.m.
SCHOLARSHIPS:

Lorei Hayslett
Secretary Student Services/Activities
Redwood High School