bulletin 09-22-17

Langer, Mani mlanger at visalia.k12.ca.us
Thu Sep 21 15:46:00 PDT 2017

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D332F0.B90EC890]REDWOOD HIGH SCHOOL
BULLETIN
9/22/17

TODAY:

1.      Bonjour!  FRENCH CLUB MEETING today in Room 47 during lunch.  We will be discussing supplied needed for our float, shirt ideas, and many much more!  Hope to see you there!

2.      Homecoming is coming up and RED INK needs volunteers for our homecoming float!  Our theme is the Ruby Slippers and we need ideas, supplies and volunteers.  Please report to Room 103 with Ms. Link or RED INK president Samantha Castillo to sign up!  Today is the last day to sign up!

3.      Students, are you considering a career as a doctor? Take the first step by applying to the Pro-MED Mentorship Program! In the Pro-MED Mentorship program, students will attend medical conferences at Kaweah Delta Family Medicine Clinic and have a personal Resident Physician Mentor! To apply, please stop by the XL Pro-Youth office in the library upstairs to pick up an application. Applications are due by today! Additionally, students who take interest in medicine and science, the Pro-MED Club is open to ALL students. The Pro-MED Club will feature guest speakers, a trip to a California medical school, and information about how to become a physician. Pro-MED Club meetings will be held on Mondays at 3:30pm in Room 94. Next meeting will be held Monday, September 25th. For any additional questions or information, please ask XL staff about the program in the library upstairs.

4.      SATURDAY UNIVERSITY is up and running!  This Saturday's University (9/23) will be held in Room 75 (Henshaw-Video) and the Auto Shop (Cox).  If you are a senior, this recovers any previous absences.  Saturday University is from 8:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.  Sign up in Room 35, 75, the Auto Shop or the Attendance Office by Friday September 22nd.

5.      XL WEIGHT LIFTING has officially started!  If you would like to participate, please join Mr. Cole in the weightlifting room TODAY from 3:30 - 5:30 p.m.

6.      HELLO RANGERS, please make sure to turn in your LUNCH APPLICATIONS TODAY as this is the day that all applications from last year will expire and all students that haven't turned in one will go to a paid status.

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT:

1.      Paws 4 a Cause Homecoming FLOAT COMMITTEE members only meeting Tuesday 9/26 at lunch in room 94 to finalize ideas, design, etc.

2.      History Day will be holding an informational meeting in Room 38 on Tuesday, September 26th during lunch. History Day is a competitive organization that creates a project based on student research. Students will be able to compete in the following categories: documentary, essay, exhibit, website, and performance. Come during lunch to find out more!

3.      Construction for the national VEX in the Zone competition has started.  The details of this robotic event will be discussed during Redwood's next ROBOTICS CLUB MEETING in Mr. Harris' Room on Tuesday September 26th during lunch.  Our first competition is October 11th.  Will Redwood be ready in time?  Only time will tell.  (What a cool alliteration).  Come hungry.

4.      11th and 12th GRADES ONLY:  This message is from the REDWOOD COUNSELING DEPARTMENT.  We would like to invite you to our 11th and 12th GRADE PARENT NIGHT on Monday September 25th at 6:00 p.m. in the Redwood Cafeteria.  We will be sharing information on graduation requirements and other resources available at Redwood High School.  Hope to see you there!
PREVIOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS:

1.      The ANNUAL IMPROV SHOW - Rotary Theater, 9/23/17, 7:00pm. Come see RHS students working with students from the other high schools in order to bring you a night of laughs!  Tickets are $5 and can be purchased in the Drama Room from Mrs. Galvan.  Tickets will be $8 at the door!

2.      HOMECOMING ASSEMBLY will be on Monday, 9/25/17. Regular Assembly schedule will be in bulletin on that date.

3.      HOMECOMING DRESS UP DAYS (Week of 9/25-9/29):  Monday 9/25 - Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Class Colors...Freshmen - Pink, Sophomore - Yellow, Juniors - Red, Seniors Green; Tuesday 9/26 - Twister Tuesday, "Fashion Disaster"; Wednesday 9/27 - Which is Which "Twin Day"; Thursday 9/28 - Kansas Day, "Country Western"; Friday 9/29 - There's No Place Like Redwood! "Show your Ranger Pride!

4.      BOWLING CLUB MEETING will be on Monday September 25th during lunch in Room 39.

5.      PTSA MEETING:  Don't miss our next PTSA MEETING on Monday September 25th at 5:30 p.m. in the Library.  Our guest speaker will be Assistant Superintendent Robert Groeber.  He will be updating us about facility projects we can expect to see around campus.

6.      PICTURE MAKE-UPS will be on September 27th from 11:30 a.m. - 1:10 p.m. in the library.

7.      HOMECOMING PARADE will be on September 29th and parade schedule to be in the bulletin on that date.

8.      CAL GRANT OPT OUT:  With the implementation of Assembly Bill 2160, California public high schools are required to submit a Cal Grant high school Grade Point Average (GPA) for all graduating seniors, unless the student or parent has opted out of the submission process.  If you do not want Redwood High School to report a GPA, please pick up the Opt Out Form in the Counseling Office before October 1st.

9.      "SOCIEDAD HONORARIA HISPANICA" MEMBERS are invited to order a SHH t-shirt this semester.  They will be gray with the national SHH symbol on front.  Come to Room 2 to pay your $10.00 and give your shirt size to Sra. Jimenez by October 6th.  You can also email Sra. Jimenez at ajimenez at vusd.org<mailto:ajimenez at vusd.org>.

10.   STUDENTS:  If you lose your student body card it will cost $10 to replace.  If you had an ASB STICKER on the card it will cost you an additional $30 to replace sticker.

11.   ATTENTION JUNIORS AND SENIORS:  YOUTH LEADERSHIP - STEPUP leadership and mentoring program.  Want the opportunity to...visit college campuses, get a job, and get involved.  Apply today for the opportunity to make a difference in your community.  Application deadline is October 6th.  For more information to:  www.stepuptc.com<http://www.stepuptc.com> or call Cosmo at 559-713-5000.  Applications are available in the Counseling Office.  Space is limited.
SENIORS:
SCHOLARSHIPS:

1.      Wendy's High School Heisman Scholarship
Criteria:  Student Athletes: high school seniors can nominate themselves for this prestigious honor by using the online form to give our judges a sense of who they are as athletes, scholars and citizens.  Application Process:  Deadline: October 2

Lorei Hayslett
Secretary Student Services/Activities
Redwood High School

Thank You,