Daily Bulletin 10-2-18
lhayslett at vusd.org
Mon Oct 1 15:22:53 PDT 2018
REDWOOD HIGH SCHOOL [cid:image001.jpg at 01D4599A.9F54FDD0]
1. Juniors: The PSAT will be held on Wednesday October 24th; cost is $16.00 per student. REGISTRATION IS TODAY AND WILL CLOSE ONCE ALL SPOTS ARE FILLED. SPACE IS LIMITED AND IS ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST SIGN-UP BASIS. Students can pay $16 in the Finance Center (Before School, After school and at lunch). Cash or Card only. No checks. Students may also pay online through the Ranger Web Store. https://www.vusd.org/redwood There is a small convenience fee. The Fall PSAT is designed for 11th grade students only. 9th and 10th grade students will have the opportunity to take the PSAT in Spring 2019. There are a limited number of fee waivers available. See Mr. Matta regarding fee waiver guidelines.
2. There will be an INTERACT CLUB MEETING TODAY at lunch in Room 101. Please come to find out about new volunteer opportunities and how you can serve your community!
3. The first REDWOOD MODEL UNITED NATIONS MEETING will be held TODAY from 3:30-4 in Room 33. If you are interested in current events, government or want to improve your public speaking skills then this is the club for you!
4. PAWS 4 a CAUSE MEETING TODAY in Room 94 to get info about officer positions and writing your candidate speech. Voting will follow one week later!
5. There is a M.E.Ch.A. MEETING TODAY during lunch. We will be discussing future events for the club.
6. INTRAMURAL SPORTS Tuesdays and Thursdays at lunch. This week we will BE IN THE GYM PLAYING Volleyball. Bring your team for our tournament!!!! Everyone is welcome!!! Bring your lunch with you if you would like!!
SPORTS TODAY/EARLY RELEASES:
Water Polo @ Mt. Whitney 4:30 p.m./Early Release Girls JV - 3:00 p.m.
1. CSF UPDATE! Our first mandatory meeting was a success with close to 400 students in attendance at the gym. T-SHIRTS are on NOW ON SALE, and MUST be pre-ordered for $10 by Wednesday, October 3rd. Come by room RH 108 to reserve and pay for yours. Also, if you have not joined REMIND text @rangercsf to 81010. Be sure to read the bulletin to receive weekly updates on club meetings and activities.
2. GIRLS WRESTLING will be having an INFORMATIONAL MEETING on Monday October 8th during lunch in Room 39 of the academic building. If you are interested in joining please come. We will be discussing upcoming training and conditioning, physicals and clearances, and the upcoming season.
3. BOYS SOCCER MEETING will be on Thursday October 4th at lunch in the soccer storage room.
4. MOONLIGHT HARVEST DANCE TICKETS go on SALE Monday October 8th, before school, during lunch and after school. Friday October 12th before school and during lunch ONLY! Price with ASB Sticker $15.00, without ASB Sticker $25.00 and $45.00 at the door. Guess passes and Dance Agreements must be filled out and signed before the tickets can be purchased. Cash or card ONLY. Students must have a Student ID to get in the dance. The Dance is Saturday October 13th from 8:00 - 11:00 p.m. at the Golden West High School Gym.
1. BROWN UNIVERSITY will be on campus Wednesday October 3rd during 4th period in the upstairs library. Sign up in the Counseling Office.
2. PICTURE MAKE-UPS will be on Thursday October 4th from 11:30 a.m. - 1:10 p.m. in the Library.
3. CHIPOTLE!! Please show your support for the ART CLUB by buying burritos (or chips or drinks or anything!) this Thursday October 4th between 4:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. - just tell the cashier it's for Redwood! Thank you!
4. SENIORS! CRUCIAL YEARBOOK INFORMATION HERE: Senior quotes and senior signatures are happening now: signatures are this week in your English classes; quotes are to be entered online at bit.ly/rhs2019quotes by October 12th. Most important: the last chance to get a portrait taken for the yearbook is this Thursday, October 4th, during 4th period and lunch in the library. If you didn't take a portrait yet with Essence, you must have one taken this Thursday or you WILL NOT have a portrait in the yearbook.
5. JUNIORS AND SENIORS! Youth Leadership, a leadership and mentoring program is now available. Apply today for the opportunity to make a difference in your community. For more information, contact Cosmo at 559-684-1987 or cosmo.costales at cset.org<mailto:cosmo.costales at cset.org> or Zac at 559-713-5000 or Zachary.blythe at cset.org<mailto:Zachary.blythe at cset.org>. Application Deadline is October 5th.
6. The FALL CHORAL CONCERT is October 9th at 7:00 pm at LJ Williams Theater. Tickets available for purchase prior to event and at the door.
7. MOONLIGHT HARVEST DANCE will be on Saturday October 13th at Golden West High School Gym from 8:00 - 11:00 p.m.
8. TRUE RANGERS DOUBLE ASSEMBLY will be on Monday October 15th in the LJ Williams Theater.
9. Halloween is upon us!!!! NIGHTMARE ON VISTA ST. is brought to you by LINK CREW. Please join us for a frightening evening on October 16th from 7-9pm. We will have our annual Haunted house on Sierra Vista, as well as food and carnival games for you enjoyment. Freshman get one free entry to the Haunted house and all others are 2$ at the door. Please bring your ID's.
10. STAFF DEVELOPMENT DAY will be on Monday October 22nd. Students release at 1:53 p.m.
11. COWHIDE ASSEMBLY will be on Friday October 26th. Regular assembly schedule.
12. COWHIDE FOOTBALL GAME vs Mt. Whitney will be on Friday October 26th!
13. To All Students : LIBRARY: IF you checked out independent reading books at your RHS library from Aug 20th - Sep 5th your books are now overdue, please stop by the library to renew or return. You are welcome to checkout unlimited reading books. If you fail to return or renew your books will be automatically marked as lost by the end of September and you will have a negative balance in your account. A negative balance will affect your participation in school activities.
*AES Engineer Scholarship
Criteria: Future leaders in all areas attending a college or university, it is not required
to be an engineer to receive this scholarship Application Process: Apply at http://www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm Deadline: October 6.
*Haz La U Scholarship
Amount: up to $15,000 grant: *Be of Hispanic heritage. *Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States with a valid Social Security Number at the time of application. All legal permanent residents must submit a copy of their valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551 (not expired). *Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. *Be pursuing or plan to pursue your first undergraduate degree *Have plans to enroll full-time in a degree seeking program at a two or four year U.S. accredited institution in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U. S. Virgin Islands, or Guam during the next academic year *To apply, applicants must currently be a high school senior, entering a two year or four year college next school year. *Must apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Apply at : www.colgate.com/hazlau<https://www.colgatepalmolive.com/en-us/core-values/community-responsibility/make-the-u> Deadline: October 15.
*Wendy's High School Heisman Scholarship
Criteria: Student Athletes: high school seniors can nominate themselves for this prestigious honor by using the online form to give our judges a sense of who they are as athletes, scholars and citizens. Application Process: www.wendysheisman.com<http://www.wendysheisman.com/> Deadline: October 17
*Horatio Alger Scholarship
Amount: $1,000-$25, 000 scholarships Criteria: Students who have demonstrated integrity, perseverance in overcoming adversity, strength of character, financial need a good academic record, commitment to pursue a college education, and a desire to contribute to society
ApplicationProcess: Applywww.horatioalger.org/scholarships<https://scholars.horatioalger.org/scholarships/about-our-scholarship-programs/state-scholarships/> Deadline: October 25
*Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation Scholarship
Amount: $1,000 to $5,000 per year
Criteria: Applicants must be: Current high school (or home-schooled) seniors attending school in the U.S. (or select DoD schools) U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, U.S. Permanent Residents, Refugees, Asylees, Cuban-Haitian Entrants, or Humanitarian Parolees Anticipating completion of high school diploma at the time of application Planning to pursue a degree at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution Application Process: Apply at http://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/applicants/#programs Deadline: October 31
*Elk's National Foundation Most Valuable Student Amount: $1,000-$12,500 per year
Criteria: Must be a U.S. citizen and have a financial need; open to high school seniors who exhibit leadership qualities Application Process: Apply at www.elks.org<http://www.elks.org/ENF/scholars/mvs.cfm>
Deadline: November 15
*College of the Sequoias Scholarship Application
Amount: Varies Application Process: Apply at https://cos.scholarships.ngwebsolutions.com/CMXAdmin/Cmx_Content.aspx?cpId=496
Deadline: November 26
Amount: up to $5,000 Criteria: 3.5gpa or above, Varsity sport at least two years including senior year, display the 6 Pillars of Character Visit http://www.cifstate.org/parents-students/awards_and_scholarships/sa/SCHOLAR_2019_APPLICATION_FINAL.pdf to apply
Deadline: Must be postmarked by February 19
*Tulare County Farm Bureau-
Amount: Varies ($500-$2000) Criteria: Must attend high school or have graduated from a high school in Tulare County, must complete and return application (paper or online), must submit two letters of recommendation, must submit a copy of current school transcript.
Apply at www.tulcofb.org<http://www.tulcofb.org/index.php?page=formScholarshipIntro>
Deadline: March 1
Secretary Student Services
Redwood High School
Secretary Student Services
Redwood High School
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 5189 bytes
More information about the RHS-Bulletin