Daily Bulletin 10-10-18
lhayslett at vusd.org
Tue Oct 9 15:08:01 PDT 2018
REDWOOD HIGH SCHOOL [cid:image001.jpg at 01D45FE1.DEC8AA00]
1. ATTENTION SENIORS: CSU APPLICATION WORKSHOP will take place TODAY. Please see or email your counselor if you are interested in signing up for the workshop.
2. TEEN AGE REPUBLICANS are meeting TODAY at lunch in room 103. Politically minded? Interested in the upcoming election? Do your issues have issues? Then we're the club for you. Come check it out. All viewpoints welcome.
3. Hey you! Yes you come join our GREEN CLUB MEETING TODAY at lunch! We will be discussing many fun events coming upon us into the future! We plan to do a Pumpkin carving soon, make a plant for a teacher or loved one and many more exciting events! Come to room 33 to learn more about what our club is about!
4. PAWS 4 a CAUSE MEETING TODAY at lunch in Room 94. Office candidate presentations and begin voting. Fundraiser for Cowhide discussion.
SPORTS TODAY/EARLY RELEASES:
Cross Country Meet/Early Release 11:00 a.m.
1. BOYS BASKETBALL BOOSTER MEETING will be on Monday October 15th at 6:00 p.m. in the Redwood Library. All community members and basketball parents are welcome!
2. HOTDOG!! It's back!! The annual COWHIDE HOTDOG EATING CONTEST is happening Monday October 22nd at Taylor's Hot Dogs, 206 N. Encina St. Visalia. The evening will begin with band and cheer performances at 6:00 p.m. The contest begins at 6:30 p.m.! Come cheer on our team against the school down the street! Entry is FREE. Taylor's will be open after the contest to sell regular priced hot dogs. Bring some cash for dinner!
3. University of San Francisco will be on campus October 29th during 1st period in the upstairs library. Sign up in the Counseling Office.
1. Stephen King once said he was fascinated by fear. If you share that fascination and like to write, do we have a deal for you! RED INK presents the OCTOBER WRITING CONTEST with the theme "Evoking fear, write something that gives you the chills. "Submissions must be typed, can be either poetry or short fiction and must be school appropriate. Turn in to room 103 or share with mlink at vusd.us<mailto:mlink at vusd.us>. Pieces cannot exceed 2 pages in length. Winners will receive a prize and be published in the next issue of the Gigantea. Deadline October 12. Writers, we know you're out there. Don't be haunted by regret, turn in your piece today.
2. MOONLIGHT HARVEST DANCE will be on Saturday October 13th at Golden West High School Gym from 8:00 - 11:00 p.m.
3. TRUE RANGERS DOUBLE ASSEMBLY will be on Monday October 15th in the LJ Williams Theater.
4. Halloween is upon us!!!! NIGHTMARE ON VISTA ST. is brought to you by LINK CREW. Please join us for a frightening evening on October 16th from 7-9pm. We will have our annual Haunted house on Sierra Vista, as well as food and carnival games for you enjoyment. Freshman get one free entry to the Haunted house and all others are 2$ at the door. Please bring your ID's.
5. FAFSA (Financial aid) Information SENIORS AND SENIOR Parents Meeting will be on Tuesday October 16th at 6:00 p.m. in the Cafeteria.
6. MUSICAL AUDITIONS ARE COMING! October 16th at 6:00 pm OR October 17th at 4:00 pm in the drama room. Call backs October 18th by invitation only.
7. COS Application Workshop for STUDENTS on Thursday October 18th in the Upstairs Library/Downstairs Library periods 1,2,3,5, and 6. See your counselor to sign up!
8. STAFF DEVELOPMENT DAY will be on Monday October 22nd. Students release at 1:53 p.m.
9. FRESNO PACIFIC UNIVERSITY will be on campus Tuesday October 23rd during 1st period in the upstairs library. Sign-ups in the Counseling Office.
10. COS FAFSA WORKSHOP will be held on Tuesday October 23rd in the Redwood Library for Seniors and Senior Parents. Specific times are assigned by the student's last name: 5:00 p.m. 9A-G); 5:45 p.m. (H-R); 6:30 p.m. (S-Z).
11. COWHIDE ASSEMBLY will be on Friday October 26th. Regular assembly schedule.
12. COWHIDE FOOTBALL GAME vs Mt. Whitney will be on Friday October 26th!
13. Mount Saint Mary's University will be on campus Wednesday October 31st during 5th period in the upstairs library. Sign up in the Counseling Office.
14. It's a Wonderful Like, The Radio Play, is coming to Redwood! The WRHS Players present our FALL PLAY November 1st, 2nd, 3rd at 7:00 pm and November 3rd at 2:00 pm. $8 General Admission. Rotary Theater. A Deep Pit Dinner will be sold for the November 3rd shows only, $10. Tickets can be purchased from Mrs. Galvan in the drama room, or online at RedwoodRangersDrama.ludus.com.
15. CSF MEMBERS: If you qualified and applied for spring semester 2018, check to make sure that your name is on the door of room 108! If not, please see Ms. Cheatwood ASAP! Seniors need to check their status to assure life time membership, and to qualify this semester in order to attend the CSF luncheon on April 30, 2019.
16. HISTORY DAY CLUB: If you're interested in creating a documentary, website, writing/performing a script, building an exhibit or writing a paper stop by and find out more! History Day meets every Thursday after school.
*Haz La U Scholarship
Amount: up to $15,000 grant: *Be of Hispanic heritage. *Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States with a valid Social Security Number at the time of application. All legal permanent residents must submit a copy of their valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551 (not expired). *Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. *Be pursuing or plan to pursue your first undergraduate degree *Have plans to enroll full-time in a degree seeking program at a two or four year U.S. accredited institution in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U. S. Virgin Islands, or Guam during the next academic year *To apply, applicants must currently be a high school senior, entering a two year or four year college next school year. *Must apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Apply at : www.colgate.com/hazlau<https://www.colgatepalmolive.com/en-us/core-values/community-responsibility/make-the-u> Deadline: October 15.
*Wendy's High School Heisman Scholarship
Criteria: Student Athletes: high school seniors can nominate themselves for this prestigious honor by using the online form to give our judges a sense of who they are as athletes, scholars and citizens. Application Process: www.wendysheisman.com<http://www.wendysheisman.com/> Deadline: October 17
*Horatio Alger Scholarship
Amount: $1,000-$25, 000 scholarships Criteria: Students who have demonstrated integrity, perseverance in overcoming adversity, strength of character, financial need a good academic record, commitment to pursue a college education, and a desire to contribute to society
ApplicationProcess: Applywww.horatioalger.org/scholarships<https://scholars.horatioalger.org/scholarships/about-our-scholarship-programs/state-scholarships/> Deadline: October 25
*Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation Scholarship
Amount: $1,000 to $5,000 per year
Criteria: Applicants must be: Current high school (or home-schooled) seniors attending school in the U.S. (or select DoD schools) U.S. Citizens, U.S. Nationals, U.S. Permanent Residents, Refugees, Asylees, Cuban-Haitian Entrants, or Humanitarian Parolees Anticipating completion of high school diploma at the time of application Planning to pursue a degree at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution Application Process: Apply at http://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/applicants/#programs Deadline: October 31
*Elk's National Foundation Most Valuable Student Amount: $1,000-$12,500 per year
Criteria: Must be a U.S. citizen and have a financial need; open to high school seniors who exhibit leadership qualities Application Process: Apply at www.elks.org<http://www.elks.org/ENF/scholars/mvs.cfm>
Deadline: November 15
*College of the Sequoias Scholarship Application
Amount: Varies Application Process: Apply at https://cos.scholarships.ngwebsolutions.com/CMXAdmin/Cmx_Content.aspx?cpId=496
Deadline: November 26
Amount: up to $5,000 Criteria: 3.5gpa or above, Varsity sport at least two years including senior year, display the 6 Pillars of Character Visit http://www.cifstate.org/parents-students/awards_and_scholarships/sa/SCHOLAR_2019_APPLICATION_FINAL.pdf to apply
Deadline: Must be postmarked by February 19
*Tulare County Farm Bureau-
Amount: Varies ($500-$2000) Criteria: Must attend high school or have graduated from a high school in Tulare County, must complete and return application (paper or online), must submit two letters of recommendation, must submit a copy of current school transcript.
Apply at www.tulcofb.org<http://www.tulcofb.org/index.php?page=formScholarshipIntro>
Deadline: March 1
Secretary Student Services
Redwood High School
Secretary Student Services
Redwood High School
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 5189 bytes
More information about the RHS-Bulletin