[VTEC-Bulletin] Bulletin 11.9.17

Roebuck, Karen kroebuck at visalia.k12.ca.us
Wed Nov 8 11:27:23 PST 2017

VISALIA TECHNICAL EARLY COLLEGE
HOME OF THE WOLVERINES

[cid:image001.png at 01D35884.8BF8EBB0]

Daily Bulletin - Volume 6; Issue 64
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2017

Veteran's Day - Friday, November 10th - No School

Staff Development Day - Monday, November 13th - Students Released at 12:45pm

Thanksgiving Break - November 20th-24th

STUDENT INFORMATION

Powder Puff Football and Pumpkin Pie will be happening after lunch on Friday, November 17th.  Any students, parents and staff who can donate pumpkin pies, please bring them to the office on Thursday, November 16th.

The freshman/sophomore ladies will challenge the junior/senior ladies to see who claims the title of Powder Puff champs for the 2017-2018 school year.  Our energetic young men will cheer them on!!  We will all enjoy pumpkin pie after the game.  We might even have some halftime entertainment!!!!!

If you are interested in taking English 251 - Sign-Up with Mrs. Williams in the office.

Jostens will return on Wednesday, November 15th during AVID in Room 3 to take payment for the Cap and Gown orders.

Yearbooks for Sale - Yearbook Pricing Deadlines:  $45 until January 31st; $50 until May 21st and $55 for the remaining school year.  There will only be a hardcopy option available this year.  See Mrs. Fraley in Room 6, or any yearbook staff member with questions.

**Students were issued an ID card on picture day.  If you misplace your ID card - you may purchase another one for $5 in the office**

SENIOR INFORMATION

Seniors interested in becoming a math teacher - see the flyer posted in the office.

CSU applications open October 1st - https://www2.calstate.edu/apply!
Fresno State will be offering three Saturday workshops on campus to assist students with the new fall 2018 application. Workshops are held in University Center 123<http://click.iwsend.com/?qs=0b8f9cba136fccc7c53d77696d3cfef7a65545660c0fc7fd105fc4f28bb22c1549f53ab2839e4cb69d92c6428a0a597f9b71d948836d72b6> (UC123) East of the library on November 18th from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. Parking is relaxed for all three days. Getting admitted to the campus starts with an accurate and complete application. We look forward to seeing your students at the workshops. Computers and Wifi will be available but students are encouraged to bring their own laptop or tablet.

Students can RSVP at:
https://csufresno-fwkfm.formstack.com/forms/apply_to_fresno_state_open_lab_rsvp_copy

Seniors have until January 31st to submit their senior portraits for the yearbook.  You may submit your photos to Mrs. Fraley in Room 6. If you do not submit a senior portrait, your school photo will be used.

JUNIOR/SENIOR INFORMATION

There are three workshops being held in collaboration with Student Success Coordinators on all three COS campuses. These workshops are open to everyone, including future and current COS students, as well as the community. We will help anyone who needs the assistance regardless of where a student is attending or planning to attend college.

Workshop dates, times, and locations are listed below:

1.    Nov. 29th 12:00-2:00

Tulare Center

Building B, Room 214

UC Application Workshop - 11/14/17, VLC Room 10 @ 6pm.  Step by step directions to complete the application.

Financial Aid Workshop - 01/25/18, VUSD Board Room @ 6pm.

Parents of Juniors - How to Apply to College - 05/15/18, VUSD Board Room @ 6pm.

SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION

The 2018-2019 College of the Sequoias Scholarship Application is now available! Please encourage students to complete one online application for hundreds of scholarship opportunities. The application deadline is November 27, 2017.   Instructions on how to apply:
All incoming (high school students) without a COS Banner ID will create an account and login on subsequent site visits via Scholarship Manager<https://cos.scholarships.ngwebsolutions.com/CMXAdmin/Cmx_Content.aspx?cpId=496>.  Incoming students who have a COS Banner ID will login via Banner Web<https://banweb.cos.edu/prod/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin>. Once in Banner Web, select "Student Services & Financial Aid" then "Scholarship Manager."

COS INFORMATION

VTEC's COS Priority Registration date is Tuesday, November 28th at 8am in Room 11.

Students who plan to register for Spring COS classes, but did not attend COS this fall, must complete a new online application at cccapply.  A COS representative will be at VTEC the following days and times to assist you with this process in AVID classes:

Juniors: Tuesday, November 14th from 2:30pm-3:15pm

COS Placement Test:  We are scheduled to administer the COS Placement Test on November 15th and November 16th from 8-11:30am.

COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES

Below are several volunteer organizations if you still need to complete your 12 hours per year of community service...

Habitat for Humanity's Restore, 637 S Lovers Lane, Visalia, ** 17 year olds can volunteer at their store with signed parent authorization form, http://hfhtkc.org/volunteer/how-to-help/

Sequoia Riverlands Trust:, http://sequoiariverlands.org/what-you-can-do-see/

Visalia Emergency Aid: http://veac.org/tester/ or: http://veac.org/substance/uploads/core/TS-Merchandiser.pdf

Happy Trails Riding Academy:, http://www.happytrailsridingacademy.org/volunteer/