[GWHS-Bulletin] 09.26.18 bulletin

Cabasa, Nora ncabasa at vusd.org
Wed Sep 26 08:59:20 PDT 2018

GOLDEN WEST HIGH SCHOOL
HOME OF THE TRAILBLAZERS
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D45577.364863D0]

Daily Bulletin - Volume 40; Issue 29
Wednesday, September 26, 2018

College Logo Day! Monday October 1st is College Logo Day! Be sure to wear your college logo gear and remember FAFSA applications open October 1st

Please congratulate the Golden West High School 2018 Homecoming Court!
Jacob Goswick                               Jacqueline Arzate
Andrew Haagensen                       Mya Chao
Jesse Martinez                                Valeria Reyes
Christian Ortiz                                 Bailey Stewart
Christian Urbina                             Crystal Velazquez

Voting for all students will be Wednesday, Sept 26th 7 am - 4 pm

Homecoming Week Dress Up Days

Wicked Wednesday - Villains            Wednesday
Dynamic Duo                                    Thursday
Fairy Spirit                                        Friday

Attention Students: As of now students must have a valid GW student ID card to be allowed off campus during lunch.

The Student Store is stocked with Blazer Pride shirts just in time for Homecoming!  T-shirts are $10, and if you're already thinking about cold weather, sweatshirts are $25.

"Science Olympiad - If you're competitive and have an interest in science, we will be forming a Science Olympiad team of GW students to compete this year. We study anatomy, build mousetrap cars, conduct chemistry labs and do many other things. Please attend the informational Science Olympiad meeting in Room S-5 on Thursday, September 27th after school to learn more."

Academy Night is approaching. Academy night will provide students and parents with information on the appointment and nomination process for those students interested in attending a United States Service academy (Air Force, Merchant Marine, Army, or Naval academies). The event is hosted by Congressman Devin Nunes, and will be held Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at the Clovis Unified School District Professional Development Building (1680 David E. Cook Way, Clovis, CA). To RSVP please complete and return the RSVP form, which is located on the Counseling Dept. scholarship webpage or see Mrs. McIntosh in the Counseling Dept., by October 13th, 2018.

ATTENTION JUNIOR & SENIOR BOYS: Male Scicon Counselors are needed for the 2018-19 school year.  You MUST be in good academic standing, C average or better, Good Discipline and Attendance record and be a good role model.   Please sign up in the counseling dept. "Presentation Binder" or speak with Mrs. McIntosh in the Counseling Dept. if you are interested.

CLUBS:

Dreamcatchers Club: Inaugural meeting Thursday at lunch in P-12! Come see what this club is all about and help us get stuff ready for the Homecoming carnival next week!

SCHOLARS CLUB meeting Thursday in Mrs. Rodriguez's room S3 @ Lunch bring your lunch and a friend.

Diversity Club members (formerly GSA): We will meet after school on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to get our booth ready for Homecoming in A-9 from 3:30-5:00 pm. Also, the club meets twice a week during lunch on Tuesdays & Thursdays in A-9 starting at 12:50 pm. We will finalize all of our homecoming plans. See Mrs. K in A-9 if you can't be there.

Counseling:

PSAT - The PSAT is a practice test for the SAT.  Students who are planning on going directly to a 4-year university after high school should take this practice SAT.  It is available for juniors, sophomores, and freshmen.  The actual exam will be administered on Wednesday, Oct. 10 from 7:45am - 12pm.  The cost of the exam is $16 and Mrs. Hunter will start taking payments to sign up for the exam before school, at lunch, and after school and will accept cash and checks (made out to Golden West High School).  The tests will be sold on a first come, first serve basis and we only have a limited number of exams.  Last year we sold out in 2 days so please come early if you want to take the PSAT Fee waivers are available for JUNIORS only. All juniors are encouraged to complete the VUSD- School Funding Data Collection Form to determine eligibility. See Mrs. Shaewitz if you have questions regarding fee waivers or fee eligibility.  Juniors who are eligible for the fee waiver and can take the test for FREE.  Please see Mrs. Shaewitz in the counseling office for a fee waiver starting Monday, September 24 during Lunch.  If you have any questions regarding the PSAT, please see Mrs. Shaewitz.

Ignite your Curiosity
Audience: 5th-12th grade students & their parents/guardians
Location: Redwood High School Cafeteria